Register Your Business Name at DTI (3 Simple Ways)


Bear in mind that you may register your business name either by visiting the DTI regional or provincial office or Negosyo Center nearest you or apply online through the Business Name Registration System (BNRS). If applying through walk-in, you may download the business name registration forms for you to print and accomplish them prior to your visit.

Business name-related laws and policies are also available for your further information and guidance. (Credit:

A. Steps for Online Registration at

1. Fill out application form by typing the required information (proposed business name, TIN, name of registrant, address, etc.,).

2. Submit online and you will receive transaction reference number acknowledgment via e-mail.

3. Submit the necessary documentation mention in the acknowledgment in DTI office in your area. The reserve business name online is only up to 3 working days.

4. Pay your application. Payment can be through GCash or at the DTI teller. Fees will depend on the territorial jurisdiction covered in the application (barangay, City/municipality, regional or national). (

Choose your proposed business name

Before you register your business with the DTI, you should be ready with your proposed business name. The following are guidelines for an acceptable and not acceptable business name:

Acceptable business names:

  • The root word or words of the name shall be considered.
  • Describes the nature of business
  • Comprised solely of letters and/or numerals
  • Punctuation that are part of English and Filipino language

Names that are not acceptable:

  • Those which are or whose nature of business is illegal, offensive, scandalous, or contrary to propriety.
  • Those which are identical or which nearly resemble business names already registered with government office authorized to register names.
  • Names composed purely of generic words.
  • Names by which by law or regulation cannot be appropriated.
  • Distinguished or suggestive of quality of any class of goods, articles merchandise or service.
  • Abbreviation of names of any nation, inter-governmental or international organization
  • Names which are misleading, deceptive or which misrepresent the nature of business

B. Steps for over-the-counter registration

A. Obtain application forms (duplicate copy) and fill these up completely. Only the owner of the business or his/her Attorney-in-Fact (who is authorized in a proper legal instrument) is authorized to sign all the forms.

B. Meet the following requirements (For Single Proprietorship):

• Must be a Filipino citizen, at least 18 years old. Filipinos with names suggestive of alien nationality must submit any of the following proof of citizenship: birth certificate, PRC ID, voter’s ID, or valid passport. If the applicant has acquired Filipino citizenship by naturalization, election, or by other means provided by law, he must submit any of the following proof of his Filipino citizenship: naturalization certificate and oath of allegiance, card issued by the Bureau of Immigration and Deportation and affidavit of election, or ID card issued by the Bureau of Immigration and Deportation.

• Certain types of business may have other requirements such as service and repair shops, real estate brokers, dental/medical clinic/hospitals, pawnshops, manpower services, engineering/architectural services and other services provided by professionals.

C. Submit application form to the DTI Processor. The DTI Processor will check if the Business Name is still available, if yes, you will be asked to pay the application fee.

D. Pay the required registration and processing fee.

New BN registration fees in effect

The Department of Trade and Industry (DTI) is now implementing the following registration fees for business name registration (original and renewal) depending on the territorial jurisdiction covered in the application:

a. Barangay: PHP    200.00
b. City / Municipality: PHP    500.00
c. Regional: PHP 1,000.00
d. National: PHP 2,000.00

For more information, please call DTI Direct at 751.3330.

E. After showing the receipt to the Processor, the Business Name Certificate will be released.

F. Your Business Name Certificate is valid for 5 years from date of registration.

C. Steps at Negosyo Centers is the same as over-the-counter
Please refer to the list of centers near you.
In Metro Manila, Business Name Registration Desks can be found in SM’s Business Service Centers or Consumer Welfare Desks at the following SM Malls:
📍Aura at B-10, SM Aura, Premier, 26th Street corner McKinley Parkway, Barangay Fort Bonifacio Global City, Taguig City 1630 (basement area beside Klinik Watch);
📍Harrison at SM Harrison Dept. Store, 2F neal Mall Entrance, F.B. Harrison St., Malate, Manila;
📍Megamall at 5F level bridgeway; San Lazaro at Lower Ground Floor beside Roper Photo Studio;
📍BF Home Paranaque at Services Counter, SM City, BF Paranaque, Dr. A. Santos Ave., cor. Presidents Avenue, Barangay BF Homes, 1700 Paranaque City;
📍Makati at Mall Information Booth (Astroplus), 3F Bills Payment Counter;
📍Mall of Asia at 2F South Wing, beside Philcopy;
📍Southmall at 3F Across Cyberzone; Bicutan at Upper Ground Floor, Building B near Bingo Bonanza;
📍Manila at Upper Ground Floor near Yummy Roast, beside Century Drug Store;
📍North EDSA at 2F Skybridge, The Block SM City EDS cor. North Avenue, Barangay Bagong Pag-asa, Quezon City;
📍Sta. Mesa at 2F Mall Area, North Wing Side;
📍Cubao at 3F near Appliance Center facing 3F Car Park;
📍Marikina at SM City Marikina, UPL Unit 021, Marcos Highway, Barangay Kalumpang, Marikina City;
📍Novaliches at 2F beside Copytrade near Department Store entrance;
📍Sucat at 3F-311 Bldg. B, SM Sucat;
📍Fairview at Lower Ground Floor beside Fitness First;
📍Quiapo at Services Counter, SM Quiapo, MDC Bldg. C. Palanca St. Quiapo, Manila.
In Region 3, the DTI’s e-business registration can be found at the
📍Marilao, Bulacan at 2F-252 SM Marilao.
In Region 4A e-business registrations are located at the following SM Malls:
📍Bacoor, Cavite at 3F Cinema in front of Cherry Mobile;
📍Dasmarinas, Cavite at Lower Ground Floor beside Photoline;
📍Calamba, Laguna at 2F beside the escalator;
📍Sta. Rosa, Laguna at Ground Floor across SM Applinace Center;
📍Masinag, Antipolo at the Consumer Welfare Desk, 2F Cyberzone area and
📍Taytay at 2F beside Great Image near Skybridge.
( April 22, 2014
Nowadays, business registration has been made available to the people in a convenient manner. Whether you can go to the DTI office, to Negosyo Centers or Online, it is important that you abide the policies to prevent hassle. Be in the statistics of growing Filipino business owners.
Please like my Facebook page for more info about business and others.

Steps to Register Your Business with BIR

How to register your business with the Bureau of Internal Revenue (BIR) in the Philippines? After securing a certificate of registration from the Department of Trade Industry (DTI) for single proprietorship, Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) for partnership and corporation, and after obtaining a Mayor’s Business permit with the Local Government Unit (LGU), your next step to operate as a duly registered business is to secure a certificate of registration from the BIR.

Registering your business with the BIR will give you the authority to print your official receipts and other invoices, provide you or your corporation a Tax Identification Number (TIN) and register the books you will use to record your business transactions. Furthermore, your BIR certificate of registration will state the types of taxes you will pay, such as business taxes, withholding taxes and income tax. The following are the requirements and steps to register your business or company with the BIR.

For single proprietorship

1. Accomplish BIR Form 1901 and submit the same, together with the required attachments, to the Revenue District Office having jurisdiction over the registered address of the business establishment. The following are the forms and requirements to be attached with your application:

a. BIR Form 1901 – Application for Registration
b. Birth certificate or any valid identification showing name, address and birth date
c. Mayor’s permit or application for Mayor’s Permit
d. Department of Trade and Industry (DTI) Certificate of Registration of Business Name (to be submitted prior to the issuance of the BIR Certificate of Registration (COR)

2. Pay the Annual Registration Fee (P 500.00) at the Authorized Agent Banks of the RDO.

3. Pay P 15.00 for the Certification Fee and P15.00 for the Documentary Stamp Tax (in loose form to be attached to Form 2303).

4. The RDO shall issue the Certificate of Registration (Form 2303).

For partnerships and corporations

1. Accomplish BIR Form 1903 and submit the same together with the required attachments to the Revenue District Office having jurisdiction over the registered address of the business establishment. The following are the forms and documentary requirements to be attached with your application:

a. BIR Form 1903 – Application for Registration for Corporations/Partnerships (Taxable/Non Taxable)
b. SEC “Certificate of Registration (Certificate of Incorporation/Certificate of Co-Partnership) or     “License To Do Business in the Philippines” in case of resident foreign corporation
c. Mayor’s Permit or application for Mayor’s Permit – to be submitted prior to the issuance of the BIR   Certificate of Registration

2. Pay the Annual Registration Fee (P 500.00) at the Authorized Agent Banks of the RDO.

3. Pay P 15.00 for the Certification Fee and P 15.00 for the Documentary Stamp Tax (in loose form to be attached to Form 2303).

4. The RDO shall issue the Certificate of Registration (Form 2303).

5. Taxpayer must pay the Documentary Stamp Tax on the Articles of Incorporation as prescribed under Section 175 of the NIRC, on the 5th of the month following the date of issuance of said article (per RR 4-2000).

Further steps following the registration

1.  Apply for Invoices/Receipts using BIR Form No. 1906 – Authority to Print. The BIR will give you an “Ask for a Receipt” Notice (ARN) together with the COR BIR form 2303, and it must be posted conspicuously in your business establishment.

2. Register books of accounts (Journal / Ledger / Subsidiary Income Book and Subsidiary Purchases/Expenses Book) and have them stamped by the RDO where the business is registered. The BIR examiner will usually advise you the types of books and taxes applicable to your business upon briefing.

3. Update registration information, if needed, using BIR Form No. 1905 (change of registered address, personal exemptions, additional tax types, etc.) Submit this at the RDO having jurisdiction over the place of business

Notes: Thank you Mam Rinna, Mam Soc and Mam Chi for assisting me all throughout my application process. (RDO 25B located in Sta. Maria Bulacan)


How to Register your Business

Perhaps you started it as a hobby. You’re doing it part-time. You didn’t expect that you will earn money from it. You’re just doing it at home and you have set up a home office. Now, you want to make your home-based business legal. You want to register your small business. You want to have official receipts and invoices so that you can expand your business, get more customers, and issue such invoices to them. You also want to pay taxes and have income tax returns, which you can use for loan application and other purposes. But you don’t know what to do and don’t know where to go.

If you’re planning to register your home-based business in the Philippines, here are some tips on how to do it:


In the Philippines, businesses can usually be formed as a sole proprietorship, partnership or corporation. Partnership and corporations are required to register with the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC), while sole proprietorship is required to register with the Department of Trade and Industry (DTI) for it’s trade name registration. The two most common forms of companies in the Philippines are single proprietorship and corporation, although there are also a number of Filipinos who register a company as a partnership.

Corporations are required to submit regular reportorial requirements with the SEC, which may be quarterly or annually depending on the type of industry. On the other hand, proprietorship businesses usually submit requirements with the DTI during registration and renewals. In other words, for small or home-based businesses, a sole proprietorship form of business is the easiest, fastest, and most affordable way to process and comply. The only drawback is that if you will register a sole proprietorship business now and you will convert it to a corporation in the future, you will need to process a formal closure of your business with the agencies you were registered (i.e., DTI, Mayor’s Office, BIR, and others) and register it again as a corporation which is a new, separate, and distinct legal entity.

By the way, if you’re a proprietor, your proprietorship business uses the same Taxpayer’s Identification Number (TIN) as yours. In other words, you and your business are the same entity for tax purposes. On the other hand, if you’re a shareholder in a corporation, the corporation uses a different TIN and is a separate entity for tax purposes. This also means that your proprietary business will be reflected in your personal ITR, while a corporation will file its own corporate ITR.

So, should you register a proprietorship business or a corporation? The choice is yours. Incorporation requires more financial, time and human resources. If you don’t have the money, if you’re not knowledgeable in the corporate setup, and if you don’t have a reliable bookkeeper or accountant who will help you on the process, then it may be wiser to initially register a proprietorship form of business.



The business registration process in our country can be a difficult task for small business owners who don’t have any idea what to do and where to go to register their business. That is why most of them are hiring bookkeepers to do this for them. Unfortunately, some micro or small business owners can’t even afford to pay a bookkeeper.

Speaking of micro businesses, under R.A. 9178, otherwise known as the “Barangay Micro Business Enterprises Act of 2002. If your business qualifies, you could enjoy privileges, such as income tax exemption, exemption from the coverage of the Minimum Wage Law, special credit assistance, and other support from the government.

Now let’s go back to the registration process. Actually, I have already written several articles about the different processes and steps of business registration with the different government agencies in the Philippines. Hence, you just need to read those posts for further details.

To have an idea and understand the business registration process, here is an outline of what you should do and where you should go to legalize your home-based business:

If you’re registering a sole proprietorship, you have to deal with the following offices:

1. Department of Trade and Industry (DTI) – to register your business trade name.

2. Mayor’s Office – to get a Mayor’s business permit and pay local business taxes.

3. Bureau of Internet Revenue (BIR) – to register your business, get TIN, apply for official receipts or invoices, register your books of accounts, and remit your national taxes (i.e., income tax, VAT or Percentage Tax, withholding tax, and annual registration fee).

4. Social Security System, Philhealth, and Pag-Ibig Fund – to register yourself as an employer and as a self-employed member.

5. Other government agencies – if your business needs secondary licenses. For example, pawnshops, money changer, money remittance businesses are required to register with the Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas (BSP). Education providers may also be required to register with the DepEd, CHED or TESDA.

A Barangay business clearance is also a requirement to process your registration. You will go to the DTI first to register your trade name. Remember that your trade name will be the business name that will be printed in your Mayor’s Permit, official receipts and invoices.

Take note that having a certificate of registration from DTI doesn’t make your business legal or legitimate. It doesn’t give you the license to operate as a business. Your certificate of DTI registration is only a registration of your “Business or Trade Name”. It gives you the permit to use your “business name” but not the permit to operate as a business until you complete your registration with other agencies, like the Mayor’s Office and BIR.

In other cities of the Philippines, like Makati City, business registration can be a one-shop stop because of the government’s program to make business registration more efficient. Unfortunately, many cities and municipalities in our country are still not enabled for that.

Now if you’re registering a corporation or partnership, you should register your business first with the SEC. Basically, corporations and partnerships are not already required to register with the DTI since their company or corporate name will already serve as their trade name. Their corporate name will be the name that will be printed in the official receipts, invoices and other documents of the business.

So the difference between registering a corporate business and a proprietorship business lies only with the SEC and DTI. The first should register with the SEC, while the latter should register with the DTI. The next steps are the same. Both of them need to register with the Mayor’s Office, BIR, SSS, Philhealth, Pag-Ibig Fund, and other applicable agencies, as enumerated in the list above.


I have readers and followers of this blog who are asking me the following questions. So I’ll share my answers here.

1. Is a sole proprietorship business a company?

Yes it is a company, especially if you will register a trade name with the DTI and you will hire employees. You don’t need to register a corporation to have a company.

2. What if my business is only a home-based business, is it required to be registered with government offices?

If you are earning income, you are basically liable for income tax, and if you’re doing business, you are basically liable for business taxes, which can be either VAT or Percentage tax. Hence, you are required to register with the BIR and other agencies. You can make your home-office as your registered business address. You can also claim as business expenses or tax deductions the allowable expenses you will incur in your home-based business, such as the allocated rent, electricity, water, telephone, and improvement expenses that are directly related to your business operation. Your personal or residential expenses must be separated and not be included in your business expenses for tax purposes.

3. What if I am a professional and I don’t have employees, should I register myself?

If you’re not engaging in business yet you are providing services to clients, you are also earning income which can be taxable. Therefore, you are still required to register as a professional with the applicable government offices. If you will not use a “trade name”, and will only use your “full name”, you are not required to register with the DTI. You have to pay your professional tax with the Mayor’s Office and apply for registration with the BIR. Your full name will also be the name that will appear in your official receipts. Furthermore, you have to register yourself as a self-employed member with the SSS, Philhealth and Pag-ibig Fund.

4. I’m afraid to do transactions with government officers because of the negative things I heard from them like extortion and corruption, what should I do? There are actually laws in the Philippines that protect citizens from abusive and irresponsible government employees and officers. One of these laws that you should remember is Republic Act No. 9485 otherwise known as the “Anti-Red Tape Act of 2007?. The Anti-Red Tape law was enacted to improve efficiency in the delivery of government service to the public by reducing bureaucratic red tape and prevent graft and corruption in government agencies and offices. So the next time you transact with a government employee, tell him or her that you are fully aware of this law.